Well ladies and gentlemen, I don’t like to brag (often)…but I have been told (and not just by my mother) that I make a mean chocolate chip cookie. In fact in 2008 while attending Village Camps Summer Camp in York myself and a summer camp buddy named Paula won a chocolate chip cookie bake off. Hands down one of the best days of my life 😉
Now, I must admit that the recipe in this post is not one that I came up with myself. The trouble is that I have had it memorised for so long that I can no longer remember its source. I feel less guilty about this shameless plagiarism because I’m openly not claiming credit for the making of this recipe!
So these are the ingredients you’ll need:
– 115g of unsalted butter at room temperature (so that it is easier to beat)
– 115g of light brown muscovado sugar (yes it is important that you use muscovado sugar)
– 1 egg
– 1 tsp of vanilla extract
– 1 tsp of baking powder
– 150g of self-raising flour
– 75g of oats
– 100g of white chocolate chips
– 100g of milk chocolate chips
– 30g of dark chocolate chips (or 15g each added to milk and white chocolate chips)
And this is what you’ll need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius
- Use an electric cake mixer to beat the butter and sugar together until the batter is pale and fluffy
- Next beat in the egg and add the vanilla extract and baking powder.
- Sieve then fold in the flour.
- When the flour is nicely combined, add the oats and all the chocolate chips. Fold until evenly combined.
6. Line your baking trays with baking parchment or grease proof paper and drop one rounded spoonful of dough at a time and don’t flatten. Allow roughly 2 -3cm of space around each spoonful.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for between 8-12 minutes
8. When the cookies look lightly gold on the outside and the bottom is firm but the top still a little soft, take them out of the oven. Leave on the tray for 2 minutes to harden before carefully transferring onto wired cooling racks to cool completely. This recipe should make roughly 20 cookies 🙂
Happy Cookie Baking!