I love this time of year. While summative essay deadlines and figuring out summer internship options seem to be weighing me down the optimism associated with the start of a new year is palpable. London is particularly enjoyable during this time of year. People are happier (maybe just drunker), families are together, Christmas lights still entertain and the sales are in full swing. All this and more contribute to make Londoners as a whole, I think, happier. You might even catch an accidental smile form a stranger on the tube.
When we were in Tanzania for NYE we used to have a barbeque with some family and friends. We’d eat ridiculous amounts of barbequed goodness and then line up along the pool and jump in, fully dressed, as the clock stuck 12. The sky above us would be brightly lit by fireworks from Sea Cliff, The Yacht Club and an assortment of neighbors. It was always a great start to the next year. When we moved to England we tended to spend our NYE in London at the Embankment for the London firework show. The music, the atmosphere and the group of friends we went with ensured that it is always a fun night out.
Still what I love most about the start of the New Year is the optimism in the air. I love coming up with New Year Resolutions for myself and see no reason to stop at just one or two resolutions. These are some of my resolutions for 2014:
- Convince my mum to take another holiday
- Visit 3 new countries
- Pay more attention to this blog (use travel journals to write about the Morocco, Paris and Nepal trips from the summer)
- Get better at healthy baking
- Bake for at least 3 charity bake sales on campus
- Come closer to figuring out what I want to do after university
- Donate blood
- Try harder to keep up with land law readings
- Take advantage of living in Exeter by going on more day hikes and taking a trip to the Cornish beaches
- 10. Bully my siblings into finally visiting me in Exeter
- 11. Pluck up the courage to go to the dentist on my own before my mum drags me kicking and screaming.
With love and best wishes for the New Year 🙂