I’m always excited to try new recipes so when my flatmate Kate asked for help to make fortune cookies for a Polish Society event, I was more than happy to help. The recipe worked so well that Ejona and I then decided to make them for the BakeSoc Christmas Social as well!
So the Ingredients you’ll need are:
- 3 egg whites
- ¾ cups (168g) of white sugar
- ½ cup (113g) of unsalted butter – melted and cooled
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of almond extract
- 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of water
This recipe should be enough for around 36 cookies
You will also need:
- A pencil to draw out circles on parchment paper
- A muffin tin
- A Mug
- Fortunes printed out and cut into small strips of paper.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C. Line baking trays with parchment paper. Prepare fortunes on small strips of paper.
- In a large mixing ball, whisk the egg whites and sugar on a high speed with an electric mixer until frothy – about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and add in the melted butter, vanilla and almond extracts, water and flour one at a time. The consistency should resemble a thick American pancake batter.
- Use the bottom of a mug to trace out circles on the baking parchment that are about 3 inches in diameter. Leave room for spreading.
- Spoon the batter into the circles and spread into a thin layer to fit the circle.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes in the preheated oven or until the edges begin to brown slightly.
- Quickly remove one at a time, place a message in the centre, fold in half and use then use the edge of the mug to fold the ends together. Ensure that you do this quickly otherwise the cookies will harden and you won’t be able to mould them into the right shape.
- Place cookies in a muffin tin to help keep the shape while they cool enough to set.
PS: these were some of my favourite fortunes that we put in our cookies:
- Ignore previous fortunes
- The fortune you seek is another cookie
- About time I got out of that cookie!
- Be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Always be batman.
- Everyone lives two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one.
- You are not illiterate. Well done you.
- Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be
- Be dumb enough to be fearless and smart enough to be dangerous
- All generalizations are false including this one.
- Everyone wants happiness but no one wants pain. But you can’t make a rainbow without a little rain
- Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life
- Always do your best. What you plant now you will harvest later.
- If not us, who? If not now, when?
- Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.
- The only way to have friends is to be one
- Man is free at the instant he wants to be
- Stop procrastinating – starting tomorrow
- You expected wisdom in a cookie? Seriously?!
- Every artist was first an amateur